Working as an expat

If you want to work in The Netherlands as a foreign worker, there are several options with different requirements for you and your employer which have to be applied. If this is not done, you are working illegally in The Netherlands. And that can be heavily penalised by the Dutch tax authorities. These fines are very high and can be issued to you and your employer. If you want to be absolutely sure you are not running any legal or financial risk, Holland Employment Experts can help. When you have found an employer, we can provide a Dutch payrolling contract. The result is a focus on mutual cooperation for employee and employer.

When we use the word expat or labour migrant, it’s a synonymous for foreign employee. We also talk about highly skilled migrants of knowledgde migrants; this is a specific group of expats. We tell you more about these groups and how we help them.

Knowledge Migrant Ruling

The Netherlands has a program for highly skilled migrants. The program makes it easier and faster for companies to bring highly skilled workers from outside the EU to the Netherlands. Furthermore, highly skilled migrants benefit from special minimum salary arrangements under this program.

Among other things, the program for highly skilled migrants streamlines the admission requirements for highly skilled migrants. For example, ‘regular’ employees from outside the EU as a rule require a work permit to work in the Netherlands, while this is not usually the case for highly skilled migrants. Moreover, highly skilled migrants benefit from a fast-track admission procedure. Both the highly skilled migrant and employer must meet a number of conditions.

Highly skilled migrants program conditions

The highly skilled migrant program is not open to all companies. Furthermore, not every highly skilled migrant from outside the EU is eligible under this program. The most important conditions are as follows:

  • The employer is recognised by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) and has a residence permit (a permanent or temporary residence).
  • The highly skilled migrant has an employment agreement with a Dutch employer of a duration of at least three months.
  • The employer pays at least the minimum salary applicable to the highly skilled migrant.
  • The highly skilled migrant has a valid passport, a healthcare insurance policy taken out in the Netherlands and does not constitute a risk to national security.
Search year

Different rules apply to students from outside the EU who are graduating from a Dutch institution of higher education. They have one year in which to find a job as a highly skilled migrant. This year is referred to as the search year. If they succeed in finding a job, they will also be subject to the minimum income limit.

Positive impact
Highly skilled migrants have a positive impact on the Netherlands. The Dutch government established the highly skilled migrant program to attract more international talent to the Netherlands. The Netherlands is delighted with the boost given to the Dutch economy, higher education and national prosperity by highly skilled migrants.
Holland Employment Experts Supports

In the past few years Holland Employment Experts has helped many highly skilled migrants and employers to take full advantage of the opportunities offered by the highly skilled migrant program. If you start work at an employer through Holland Payroll, you and your employer can leave the details of the program to us. We will help with the application and sort out all the details.

Salary Criteria Knowledge Migrant

If you are coming to work in the Netherlands as a highly skilled migrant, you will be earning a relatively high minimum salary. Employers must pay the salaries set out in the highly skilled migrant program. These minimum salaries are as follows:

  • Highly skilled migrants younger than 30: €3.672 gross per month;
  • Highly skilled migrants 30 and older: €5.008 gross per month;
  • Highly skilled migrants in their job-seeking year: €2.631 gross per month; These are highly skilled migrants who take up employment in the Netherlands within one year of having completed an accredited study programme at a Dutch institution of higher education.
Annual indexation

If you as a highly skilled migrant turn 30 during the term of the contract, nothing will change. The highly skilled migrant salary for those 30 and older will only apply when you sign a new contract. The salaries for highly skilled migrants are indexed annually.


The minimum salaries do not apply if you are coming to the Netherlands to work as:

  • a PhD candidate at a university or research institution
  • doctor training to be a medical specialist
  • guest lecturer

These positions are subject to the standard minimum salary.

Why a higher minimum salary?

You as a highly skilled migrant from outside the EU are subject to a higher minimum salary than employees with Dutch nationality. Why is that? Companies with job vacancies must first try to fill them with people resident in the Netherlands (or the EU) and only then are they ‘allowed’ to look for employees from outside Europe.

30% tax rule

You may also be eligible for the 30% tax rule. In many cases, 30% of an expat’s salary is exempt from tax. This rule intends to compensate expats for the additional expenses they incur, such as relocation costs, language courses or flights back home. Holland Payroll can find this out and arrange all of this for you.

More information

You have a question about the salary for highly skilled migrants? Or want to know how Holland Employment Experts can assist you? Leave your name and number!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Types of Visa for Knowledge Migrants

As someone from outside the EU, you require one or more permits to work in the Netherlands. What are the various residence permits for work and to whom do they apply, and for how long?

Your employer in the Netherlands needs to apply for a residence permit if he intends to hire an employee from abroad. The residency permit your employer applies for may be a short-stay visa, a work permit for persons from outside the European Economic Area (TWV), a combined work and residence permit (GVVA) or an EU Blue Card. Let’s look at the most common types.

Short-stay visa

A short-stay visa grants you the right to stay in the Netherlands for a maximum of three months. This is ideal if you are coming to work as a highly skilled worker for a short period or visiting the Netherlands on business. You can apply for this visa from the Dutch Embassy in your country. The purpose of your trip must be clear. This visa is available to residents of almost 70 non-EU countries.

Provisional residence permit (MVV)

If you are from outside the EU and wish to stay in the Netherlands for longer than three months, you will need an ‘MVV’, or provisional residence permit. A residence permit can be applied for directly if you apply for this visa via the entry and residence procedure. You must indicate your purpose for being in the Netherlands.


TWV stands for employment permit for persons from outside the European Economic Area. Your employer can apply for a TWV from the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). As part of the application procedure, your eligibility as a prospective employee who serves a ‘genuine Dutch interest’ will be assessed. In essence, this assessment considers whether your prospective employer really is unable to find suitable personnel in the Netherlands or elsewhere in the EU. A highly skilled migrant does not require a TWV.


GVVA stands for a combined residence and employment permit. An employer applies for this permit from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) if the migrant worker is to be employed for longer than three months. The IND assesses whether you, as a prospective employee, serve a ‘genuine Dutch interest’ (the important consideration here again is whether the employer really is unable to find suitable personal in the Netherlands or elsewhere in the EU).

The permit consists of a residence document for you as the employee and a supplementary document for you and your employer. This supplementary document indicates which employer you are allowed to work for as a migrant worker and under which conditions. The GVVA is not issued to highly skilled migrants, but to ‘regular’ workers not originating from from the EEA or Switzerland.

There is an exception for some migrant workers for whom no work permit (TWV or GVVA) is necessary, as is the case for highly skilled migrants.

Permits for highly skilled migrants

Employees who wish to hire you as a highly skilled migrant must start an entry and residence procedure at the IND. This option is only open to employers who are recognised by the IND. The IND will investigate whether there are any objections to admission on the grounds of public order or security risks. This procedure takes around two weeks. If the investigation produces a positive result and you meet the other conditions for highly skilled workers from abroad, you can pick up an MVV from the Dutch Embassy in your country. This document will allow you to travel to the Netherlands and pick up your residence permit from the IND.

If you do not require an MVV, your employer can start the application procedure for your work permit while you are in the Netherlands as a highly skilled migrant.

EU Blue Card

In addition to the Dutch highly skilled migrant scheme, there is a European scheme for highly skilled migrants: the EU Blue Card. To be eligible for an EU Blue Card, highly skilled migrants must:

  • have completed a three-year Bachelor’s study program
  • hold a degree certificate whose credentials are recognised by the International Credential Evaluation (IDW) service
  • earn at least €5,567 gross per month

This is a higher income and education requirement than required of regular highly skilled migrants. Holders of an EU Blue Card have a faster track to permanent residency than highly skilled migrants coming to and working in the Netherlands under the Dutch program.

More information

Have a question about visa or our visa services? Fill in the form below.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

How do we help expats?

For the foreign worker, the payroll service company Holland Employment Experts will ensure that:

  • Contract and payments are made in accordance with Dutch law and comply with enforcement measures of the agreement between the employee and the customer.
  • The necessary arrangements are made for specific Dutch tax benefits, such as the 30% rule, work permit or obtaining a social security number.
  • Salary (and net salary) is checked in advance, before cooperation between employer and employees begin.
Payroll experience

Holland Employment Experts is a Dutch payroll company and is registered with the ABU and is BS 4400-1 certified. The ABU is the General Association of Temporary Employment Agencies and is the main representative of temp. agencies in The Netherlands since 1961.

We offer payroll solutions for all customers based on Dutch fiscal and labour laws and our specialists have years of experience in the Dutch labour market. In 2010 we started under the name Holland Payroll for specific payroll solutions within the Dutch market. We do not only provide salary but also take on the formal role as Employer when hiring new personnel.

How do we help your employer?

For your employer, Holland Employment Experts will ensure that:

  • The foreign worker (you) has passed the ID screening and can legally work in The Netherlands, as per Dutch labour law.
  • We work with transparent contracts for all parties which ensure you pay the best price for payrolling.

If you would like to know more about our Dutch payroll solutions, please fill out the contact form and we will contact you within 24 hours. If you would like to receive a net salary calculation you can fill in the hourly wage and the estimated contract period which we will use as an example.


How can we help you?

Curious how we can help you? Fill in this form and we’ll contact you soon.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Good employership

Good employership is very important to us. As a payroll agency, we guarantee that each knowledge migrant working for a client through our organisation really is legally employed. We also ensure that all ‘our’ migrant workers benefit from all the available tax advantages.

It’s understandable that non-Dutch employees like you have a lot of questions. You’re working at a new company in a new country, with new colleagues and new customs, values and standards. And on top of all that, you’re faced with all the paperwork, such as your residence permit, employment contract and your gross or net salary. We’ll be happy to help you with all this, and we’re always here to answer any questions you might have. For example, as a contractor payroll solutions, we can tell you more about payroll services netherlands, dutch payroll, payroll company netherlands, payroll companies or payroll services holland.